The Economic Policy Institute (EPI) is seeking a Web Developer, who is enthusiastic, independent, and collegial and who will be responsible for maintaining the organization’s web properties and transforming those sites to be even more accessible, usable and engaging.
This position is based in Washington, D.C. EPI staff are currently working remotely due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The Economic Policy Institute (EPI), the nation’s leading progressive economic think tank, is seeking a talented and motivated web developer to build front-end and back-end features for our websites. EPI has a small and enthusiastic web and design team, and we are looking to expand our capacity with a web developer.
What You Will Do
The main responsibility of the developer will be the build innovative, public-facing features and internal workflows, and ensure the website looks good and functions properly.
You will work on public-facing projects like feature development, data visualization, interactive charts, and site UX; and also on internal projects like designing features and workflows to streamline our web-first production process for publications, data, and charts.
Who You Are
We do not expect that every candidate will have this full range of experience, but the following qualities and experience are highly desirable:
- Creating interactive features and data visualizations in JS
- Creating custom functionality for WordPress—using code, not (just) plugins
- Working with Git/Github
- Doing basic server management as needed
- Writing smart, readable, well-documented code
- Using APIs for social, analytics, and other services
- Turning designs into code
- Keeping up with web trends
- Managing multiple projects and priorities
- Staying organized using a project management system
- Working with non-tech savvy individuals to troubleshoot website issues in a polite and timely manner;
- Taking on new challenges.
- A passion for social and economic justice issues.
- Experience working for a mid to large scale nonprofit, with high website traffic.
- Experience working on a large-scale site redesign from inception to realization, including managing timelines, working with stakeholders, and handling QA/QC.
- Managerial experience, managing and mentoring other web developers and managing large-scale projects.
To apply: If this sounds like you, send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org introducing yourself, your programming background, your languages and your nerd credentials. Code jokes aren’t necessary but are welcome. Use “EPI Web Developer – Firstname Lastname” as your subject line. Include a creative, custom line of code in the body of your message to let us know you’re the real deal. Links to your Github/StackOverflow/projects/website redesigns, including before and after/other dev-related presence are a major plus.
Salary and Benefits
EPI is a unionized workplace with the Nonprofit Professional Employees Union (NPEU). This position is in the bargaining unit and reports to the Communications Director.
The salary for this position ranges from $90,000 to $110,000, dependent on experience.
EPI offers an excellent benefits package, including generous paid time off, as well as retirement contributions, medical, vision, dental, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance.
EPI is an independent, nonprofit, nonpartisan think tank that researches the impact of economic trends and policies. Our mission is centering the policy debate on the economic interests of workers. EPI is a key institution in the movement for economic justice in the United States and is widely recognized as a source of authoritative analysis on economic trends, with a particular focus on economic and racial inequality.
EPI believes that having a diverse and inclusive workplace not only strengthens the institute’s work but is also essential for understanding and creating economic policies that support all working people. EPI is an equal opportunity, fair chance, affirmative action employer, committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior history of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, caregiver status, or other categories protected by law.Back to careers page